Becoming a member of St. Mark’s and transferring your membership from or to another parish:
- ►To arrange for your membership to be transferred from your previous parish to St. Mark’s – or from St. Mark’s to a new parish – please contact the Rector, the Reverend Paul Roberts Abernathy.
- ►For more information about what it means to be a pledging and voting member at St. Mark’s click here, or contact Susan Block, P.A. for Finance & Membership.
Donating and Pledging to St. Mark’s: Susan Block, P.A. for Finance & Membership
- ►Susan can answer any questions you may have about donating and pledging – and she can provide information about the wide variety of ways to give, including by auto-debit from your checking account, by credit card, by donor advised fund, by gifting stock, by payroll deduction, etc.
- ►For more information, visit Give Online on www.stmarks.net.
Baptisms, confirmations, weddings and funerals:
- ►Click herefor more information about arranging for the baptism of your child or yourself.
- ►Click herefor more information about becoming confirmed in the Episcopal Church.
- ►Click herefor information about the Christian Education class, What’s an Episcopalian? a4-week class on Tradition, Liturgy & Theology given to adults as preparation for the Rite of Confirmation in the Episcopal Church.
- ►Contact Marcella Gillis, the Director of Youth Ministries for information about the next class to be given to youth as preparation for the Rite of Confirmation in the Episcopal Church.
- ►Click herefor more information about getting married at St. Mark’s.
- ►If you wish to inquire about holding a funeral at St. Mark’s, contact either the Rector, the Reverend Paul Roberts Abernathy, or the Associate Rector, the Reverend Justi Schunior.
- ►If you would like to search the parish records for information about a relative who was baptized, confirmed or married at St. Mark’s – or about a relative whose funeral was held at St. Mark’s – please contact Susan Block, P.A. for Finance & Membership.
►Parish Website and Facebook Page: The Reverend Justi Schunior, Associate Rector, Manager
►Sunday Service Bulletin production & announcements: Angela Nedd, P.A. for Programs & Facilities
- ♦Written announcements for Sunday Bulletins may be submitted to Angela Nedd by 5:00 pm on the Tuesday preceding the Sunday in which you want the announcement to appear. Announcements must be limited to 125 words. Send the announcement via email. If it is not possible to email your announcement, then please mail or hand deliver a written announcement to St. Mark's, 301 A Street SE, Washington, DC 20003 (by 5:00 pm on the Tuesday preceding the Sunday in which you want the announcement to appear). Announcements cannot be accepted over the phone.
- ♦To download bulletins from the current liturgical season, go to http://www.stmarks.net/news/weekly-bulletin/. For older bulletins, request them by emailfrom the PA for Programs and Facilities.
►The Gospel According to St Mark's (St. Mark’s weekly email newsletter): The Reverend Paul Abernathy, Rector, Editor
- ♦The Gospel contains a preview of the upcoming Sunday service times, liturgy and music, as well as general parish news.
- ♦To subscribe to The Gospel:Sign up at http://www.stmarks.net/gospelnewsletter
►The Parish Calendar: Angela Nedd, P.A. for Programs & Facilities
►St. Mark’s YahooGroups listserv: George Meng, Anne Barton, and Chuck Divine, moderators
- ♦Subscribers to the listserv discuss a wide variety of issues of importance to the parish
- ♦To subscribe to the St. Mark’s YahooGroups listserv:Send a blank email to StMarksemail@example.com
►Parish Directory production & updates: Susan Block, P.A. for Finance & Membership
- ♦The Parish Directory includes the same leadership material that is published here, plus contact information for pledging members. It is updated and distributed to pledging members several times a year via email.
Parish Space – use, rental and maintenance:
►To reserve (and/or rent) parish space for a parish (or private) event: Angela Nedd, P.A. for Programs & Facilities
♦Parish space is available (under certain limitations) for the use of parish group activities and events, as well as events sponsored by private parties or groups not affiliated with St. Mark’s.
♦If you would like to reserve space for a parish group activity or event, or explore the possibility of renting space as a private party, please do the following:
•First, go to http://www.stmarks.net/calendar -- the master parish space use calendar – to determine if the space you would like to reserve for your parish group/activity is available.
•Second – once you have confirmed that the space you hope to use is available on the calendar – contact Angela Nedd, P.A. for Programs & Facilities, to request a reservation.
•Third – for outside groups and private parties – click hereto see a copy of St. Mark’s standard rental agreement.
♦Once your reservation has been tentatively confirmed by Angela, she will direct you toEd Green, St. Mark’s Maintenance Contractor, to discuss the various alternatives for setting up the space for your use.
•Ed can tell you what tables, chairs, easels, coffee facilities, etc. are available, whether they will be set up for you as part of regular, day-to-day church operations – or whether you will be responsible for configuring your space and then returning it to its usual configuration.
•If church policy dictates that you will be responsible for your space configuration, Ed can tell you whether policy allows you to set up the space with the help of parishioner volunteers -- or whether policy requires you to hire Green’s maintenance.
•Please note that, for most space use, your reservation or rental cannot be confirmed until you have discussed space configuration with Ed, and/or entered into a contract with Green’s Maintenance.
♦Ed will brief you on security and general rules to follow to protect and care for the parish space you will be using.
►Buildings and Grounds Maintenance: Edwin Green, Maintenance Contractor
♦Green’s Maintenance, owned and operated by Edwin Green, maintains the church’s buildings and grounds.
♦The company is responsible for keeping church premises clean and in good repair – and configured (set up) in a manner that enables regular church functions. Ed works in close concert with the clergy and staff to ensure that church space is ready for worship and parish events, and he works in close concert with the Junior Warden to maintain the buildings in good repair. Ed’s job is especially crucial while we are under construction because our space is limited and used more intensively than ever, and because the demolition and construction affects the heating, electrical, water systems (etc) in the parts of our building not undergoing renovation.
♦Ed also contracts with private parties who rent space at St. Mark’s to configure the rented space to their needs.
►To obtain keys and access to parish space: Edwin Green, Maintenance Contractor
Parish Financial Administration:
►What you need to know about parish finance if you are a parish group leader:
Please contact Susan Block, P.A. for Finance & Membership.
►What you need to know to carry out your responsibilities if you are a parish group, event or fundraiser treasurer:
Please contact Susan Block, P.A. for Finance & Membership.
►What you need to know if you want to raise money at St. Mark’s – or if you have been authorized to hold a St. Mark’s fundraiser:
Please contact Susan Block, P.A. for Finance & Membership