Advent at St. Mark’s: Family Activities, Music, Services
The first Sunday in Advent was December 2. This post may be updated throughout the month so check in often and scroll down this page to get details on upcoming events. Special music, youth and family events, volunteer opportunities, greening, and more.
Advent Activities for Youth and Families
- Dec. 2—Pageant sign-ups begin + mini-Advent wreath-making at Coffee Hour
- Dec. 9—CHGM Present Party (Middle + High School youth) + Sunday Suppers
- Dec. 16–11 am—Family Fellowship ice skating at Canal Park Ice Rink
- Dec. 23—Christmas Cookie Decorating Party + pageant costume pickup + lead rehearsal (no Sunday School)
- Dec. 24–4 pm—Christmas Pageant
- Dec. 24 – 10 pm – Christmas Eve Festival Eucharist
- Dec. 25 – 10 am – Christmas Day Holy Eucharist
- Dec. 30 – 10 am – Christmas Lessons and Carols with Holy Eucharist
- Dec. 30 – 5 pm – Holy Eucharist
Questions regarding these activities? Contact Director of Youth and Family Ministries Caroline McReynolds-Adams.
Music and Arts
- Advent Lessons & Carols: This beautiful service of readings, hymns, and special seasonal musical offerings by the Boys & Girls Choir and Chancel Choir will take place on Sunday, Dec. 2 at 5 pm. A reception will follow the service in Baxter Hall.
- Handel’s Messiah Concert: The Chancel Choir is teaming up with DC Strings orchestra to present a performance of part I of Handel’s Messiah and Saint-Saens’ Christmas Concerto on Friday, Dec. 7th at 8 pm in the nave. Please join us for this special concert.
- Carols & Cheer: Come sing your favorite Christmas carols while socializing and enjoying some food and drinks. Wednesday, Dec. 12 from 6:30-9:30 pm. Bring a beverage or some food to share or $5. Drop in anytime.
Reflective Service of Loss and Remembrance
The holidays are joyous for some and a time of sadness and grief for others. Often, there exists a mix of both. On Monday, December 10, at 7 pm we’ll hold a “quiet” service in the Nave to hold a space and remember those who we’ve lost but not forgotten. All are welcome.
Greening of the Nave
Bring live boughs of greenery, holly, or other decorations and berries to Baxter Hall for the Greening scheduled for Sunday, December 23. Please contact Jim Steed.